V1174 = Bright & Summery
The other weekend I had an urge to make something straight from a pattern. No extreme adjustments, no fraken-pattern, just cutting & sewing. I’d been wanting to make Vogue V1174 from Cynthia Steffe for quite some time. So I did. I decided to use this brightly printed cotton sateen that I got on sale at the end of last summer. I lined it with a silk cotton blend I’ve had in my stash for about a year or so.
This pattern really was pleasant to sew. The instructions & figures were clear and they didn’t make too many ‘big leaps’ between instructions. It was really relaxing to just sit & sew according to a pattern.
Now before you start to think that I actually made a dress from a pattern without being at all tempted to stray off on my own little path, I must confess to making two alterations. Both were fit related. The first was to take the waist in by about 10mm either side (I normally have to sew a size 10 bust, 8 waist & 12 hips), the second was a little weirder. I modified the bodice foundation to add some more ‘curves’.
Similar to Tasia, I found that the bodice of the dress tended to ‘flatten’. She solved the problem by adding in a little extra padding. Given that I’m a 10DD, I was pretty sure I didn’t need any extra padding. So I decided to modify the internal bodice foundation. The original pattern had essentially a straight seam over the bust, which didn’t make sense to me at all. I adjusted it to curve around & under my bust (similar to a corset overbust seam) & felt that it fit a lot better. I didn’t change any of the front facing pieces of the dress, but changing the foundation definitely looked better & it no longer felt like the dress was pushing my boobs down to my belly button. The picture below shows the original ‘flat’ seam & my curvy seam.
All in all I’m really happy with the dress. It was nice, easy & relaxing to sew. I can definitely see me getting a lot of wear out of this dress this summer.