I’ve finished my first of this year’s summer dresses & in perfect time too! This weekend was the first official weekend of Spring, so the weather should be warming up soon.
I made this dress in a printed cotton using Vogue V2962. This was a really easy pattern to follow & didn’t take me long to make. I made quite a few alterations to the pattern, I took a bit of the fullness out of the halter neck & the skirt. I’m still thinking I should have taken a little more out of the halterneck as it’s a little puffy. I also added a tie to the halterneck (the pattern suggests using a loop & button). Finally the pattern called for the dress to be closed with a heap of tiny buttons… I did that once for my wedding dress & never again. So I used a zip instead. Which reminds me, there was one more alteration (sheesh I didn’t realise how much I’d altered this dress!!), I had to take in the bodice a little around the bust. I’m not sure if that was the halterneck style, the ease in the pattern or (more likely) my winter belly. I ended up taking this out at the top of the zip seam, which made the side seams sit at a bit of an angle but it’s not that noticeble, the better option would have been to use the side seams, but I’d already added the boning channels & it all seemed like way too much effort to avoid an angled seam.
I really love the fabric of this dress, it’s so sweet. I’m a little undecided about the neckline, it’s a bit… puffy. Maybe it’s just I’m not used to wearing dresses of this style. At any rate it’s warming on me.