Greg’s Shirt – Just in time for Christmas!
Merry Christmas everyone! Today is Christmas Day for Greg's family. I managed to finish his new shirt earlier this week, (the wonders of holidays), & so he decided to wear it to Christmas lunch today. I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Here's all the usual details;
Pattern used: Colette Negroni
Fabric used: 'Space Invaders' Printed cotton from Spoonflower
Time taken to complete: 5-6 hours,
What I like: I'm really happy with the fit. Also I LOVE the fabric, it just suits Greg perfectly.
What I don’t like: Buttonholes. My machine just doesn't do them very nicely & it really makes things look home-made. Does anyone out there have a machine with a one-step buttonhole that they like the results from?
What I learned from this project: Not much since the last shirt but it was good to just knock this one out.
Would I make another: Yes, but I might wait a little while. Maybe I'll try my hands at more of a dress shirt next time (i.e. with a traditional collar stand & front shirt placket).
Finally I'd like to finish up with a few comments about the pattern. I'm not sure how indicative the instructions on this pattern are of the other Colette patterns, but I must say I was really impressed. The instructions were clear & very detailed. There were special sections to describe design features like flat felled seams. Based on my experience, I would definitely recommend these patterns to someone who is just starting to sew. Yes I had to make some alterations for the pattern to fit Greg a little better, but his measurements did not fit perfectly within a single size so this was not unexpected.
WHOOPS! I just remembered I'd get back to you all on the placket methods described by the pattern vs. Claire Schaeffer's method in The Complete Book of Sewing Shortcuts. I found that the method provided in Sewing Shortcuts is easier, BUT I didn't really understand why until I'd done both. Also the method provided in the Colette pattern is almost the same as the method that Claire suggests, so it wasn't THAT much easier. Maybe I'll do another post explaining this in more detail, but in short the method in the pattern is fine & isn't too difficult.