Gaga-Gaga-Ga

GagaDress

So here it is… the long awaited Gaga dress for S.’s hen’s night. (Please excuse the red eyes in the photo, when I tried to fix them, the computer turned my face green…)

I had so much fun planning & making this dress, despite the frustrations involved. When I last posted about this dress I’d made the the base dress & that was it really. The sleeves were very tight & I wasn’t happy about how they looked, so after much deliberation & angst, I decided to just go for it (because who cares I’m going to have to unpick the whole thing & start again anyway) & I cut a giant slit through the centre of them, folded them back & then used fusible hem for a seam free finish. I was very apprehensive about this but I love the way it turned out. And that was the dress done.

The next angst filled drama was the spikes. Oh the spikes. In my last post I’d decided to make them out of fabric with a wire for stability. OH. MY. GOD. EPIC FAIL! They weren’t pointy & they were lumpy & the wire wasn’t straight enough & every time I tried to straighten it, it would bend even more. Fail. I tried so many different ways to get this to work nicely, I added in heavy interfacing, more wire, different fabrics, different stuffings. All terrible. So I decided I would roll them out of plastic. I was going to buy overhead projector sheets but then I got lazy & couldn’t be bothered driving to Officeworks so instead I did what all lazy sewists do & ransacked my house for alternatives. I found them in an old gift bag. The bag itself was a nice thick, stiff plastic that when rolled into spike with a few layers was really nice & sharp & stable. There was also an insert in the base of the bag that was made out of a plastic similar to those clear shoe boxes that could also be rolled quite nicely into a single layer spike. So I started rolling the bits of plastic into spikes & used a hot glue gun to stick them together. This was the result:

Gagaspikes

WINNER!

Then I decided that these needed to be silver. So I coated some aluminium foil in PVA glue & wrapped that around the spikes. In hindsight I would have like to develop this a little more & try things like laminating the plastic first in fabric or paper or even just painting the spikes, as I wasn’t entirely happy with the final finish, but I liked it a lot more than what I’d previously been making, so that was a plus.

Gagaspikesal

Once it was all dry I chopped them down to the desired size & hand stitched them in place, (advance warning – you need a big sharp needle for this).

Anyway I was pretty happy with the result. So after all of this drama, here’s the final rundown on the dress…

What I’m wearing: Dress made by me. Zoe Wittner shoes.
Pattern used:
Vogue V8146 with sleeves added.
Fabric used: Black de-lustered satin, (Darn Cheap Fabrics), Studs & things were ripped off a trim I bought at Darn Cheap also. The dress was lined with PolySilk.
Cost: The dress took 1.5m of fabric & I used about 20cm of trim. The lining was leftover from a previous project & the spikes were made with junk I found in my house. All in all it cost me about $40.

My more astute readers may be wondering why the dress I’m wearing only has spikes & studs on the shoulder, but my sketches had them on the hip too. Excellent question. I will list the (many) reasons that I had to create in order to convince myself that this wasn’t a good idea.

  1. I needed to be able to sit in this dress
  2. I needed to be able to sit at a restaurant in this dress & I had no idea if the chairs would have holes in the backs.
  3. At the restaurant I might have to sit close to someone I don’t know (who would also be at the hen’s party) & my spikes might spike them all night long… Awkward.
  4. I need to get to the restaurant in a car. With a seat belt on. Hmmm.
  5. It was cold last night & I had to wear a jacket. I already had to do the whole waking round the city with my jacket draped off the shoulder looking like a weirdo thing as I couldn’t actually get any jackets on over the spikes & I didn’t want to tear the lining in my coat & I’m not sure if my coat would have still fit.

Even after all of that I still really want the hip spikes, it just looks unfinished without them but for the time being practicality has prevailed. I’m thinking about adding them on now & then maybe just walking round the house in it now & then. Or maybe I could construct complicated dance routines & put the dress on & perform them for my family. Or maybe I could grow up & stop being eight. :D

OK. If someone throws a Halloween party & they invite me & I’m physically able to attend (i.e. it’s not in Mexico or anything crazy), then I’ll do it, and I’ll wear it. But I may have to get changed at your house (because of the whole car seat belt drama) and I’m sorry in advance if my spikes tear the fabric on your furniture.

HAHAHAHAHA… Just had a hilarious mental image of my sitting on a couch, spiking a cushion & walking round with a cushion hanging off my dress spike. Awesome.

Comments
One Response to “Gaga-Gaga-Ga”
  1. Pam says:

    Those around-the-house-too-lazy-to-go-to-the-shops solutions are always the best!
    And love the sleeves – they look like that was your original intention :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 298 other followers

%d bloggers like this: