LBD awaiting Gaga-ification
On the weekend I made a basic fitted little black dress in black delustered satin (no pictures yet – sorry) to use as the basis for my Gaga dress.
I made it using Vogue pattern V8146, but had to modify the pattern to take it in around the waist as I have a narrow waist. I also adjusted the neckline from a high round neck to a lower more octangonal neck. The sleeves were taken from another pattern, but I think they require further adjustment as they are a little tight & restrictive.
This week I'm making & adding all the little embellishments that will make it a Gaga dress. I cut out some triangles in a number of different fabrics & sewed them into little fabric 'spikes' using a twin needle stitch.
I chose to use a twin needle stitch so that I could use the gap between the lines of stitching as a channel for some wire to make the spikes stick out a little more. I used a fairly pliable milliner's wire for this & was careful to fold over the ends so that they wouldn't push through the fabric & damage it.
I also bought some metal studs & bits and pieces at Darn Cheap Fabrics the other day that I'm thinking of working in. Here's a picture of some of the completed but unstuffed 'spikes' & some of the trim. I'm going to take the studs off the piece of the ribbon & then sew them onto the dress using a clear thread so that you don't see the thread you do currently.
So it looks like I have a lot of hand sewing ahead of me…