The Dress Part Three. The Lace Coat.

Wedding dress 054

The third part of my dress is the little lace ‘coat’ that was sewn to
the corset. I used the pattern from V2979 to make the lace jacket. At
thi point it’s important to mention that the pattern (V2979), has been
created without a corset, the full weight of the skirt is held by the
lace, which has a full lining. I suspect this is part of the reason why
they have made the dress with a heavy chantilly lace. I didn’t want this
for two reasons, the first was that I really liked the aesthetic of a
delicate lace covering skin, the second was more practical, I get
married at the beginning of March & there was a reasonable chance
that the temperature would be over 35C, so I didn’t want a really heavy,
hot dress.

I ended up using an embroidered tuelle, which I got from Stitches in
High St Armadale. It was quite expensive (>$200 per metre), but I
took the pattern pieces & got the exact amount that I needed.

To get the scallop around the neck we had to change the pattern
slightly. We cut the back out without any scalloping & left a VERY
long section of the scallop on the front. Once cut, I sewed the pieces
together, then my mum fitted the jacket onto me. After all this, the
long pieces of scallop that were left on the front of the jacket were
hand-stitched around the neck to create a continuous scallop.

For the sleeves, I decided that using the scallop there as well would
be too heavy. I decided to use some of the other embroidered features
in the lace to create a nice finish around the edge. I cut the sleeve
edges so that they ran through these lovely big embroidered roses.
However there were gaps between the roses, so I cut out some of the
smaller flowers from the spare pieces of lace & these were handsewn
onto the sleeves to fill the gaps. Once this was complete the tuelle was
trimmed away around the embroidered features.

The lace jacket was lightly stitched together at the front but was
done up with a big, long line of buttons at the back of the jacket. The
edges of the jacket were finished with a strip of silk. This also acted
as a re-inforcement that the buttons could be sewn to. I used a
pre-manufactured strip of elastic loops (from Spotlight) to create the
loops to do the buttons up. I sewed them inside a strip of silk to give
it a nicer finish though. I got the idea from a friend at work, who had
had a similar thing done on her wedding dress. She also suggested using a
crochet hook to do them up on the day. My bridesmaid H. tried this but
just ended up using her fingers.

One thing I haven’t mentioned is the small disaster I had during
construction of the jacket. My mum actually had to go back & buy the
lace again, because she offered to do some sewing for me &
accidently sewed the wrong pieces together. It was not possible to
unpick it… We didn’t have a good day that day.

About these ads
2 Responses to “The Dress Part Three. The Lace Coat.”
  1. Vanessa says:

    Your mum sounds like a wonderful lady, I can’t imagine trying to attempt this with my mum!
    Your dress turned out absolutely beautiful and I hope you were both able to shine in the moment of achievement.
    It’s such a beautiful thing you guys were able to share.
    I’ve just started sewing and found your posts on the process absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing.

  2. Stephanie says:

    Thanks for the kind comments. I think we had our fair share of ‘robust discussions’, but I’m glad that it worked out in the end. I’m so happy you’ve started sewing & are enjoying my posts, would love to hear more about what you sewing!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 298 other followers

%d bloggers like this: